Full width home advertisement

Welcome Home


Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Facts About Left-Handed People That Are Interesting and Surprising



Did you know that approximately 10 to 12 percent of the world's population is left-handed? Did you know that, as a result of living in a world that is predominantly designed for right-handed people, left-handed people are more self-sufficient, creative, adaptable, and flexible than their right-handed counterparts? For more information on left-handed individuals, continue reading.


Their right part of the brain is dominant


The left hemisphere of the brain is more analytical and logical, whereas the right hemisphere is more imaginative and emotional. The right hemisphere of the brain is more dominant in left handed people, and as a result, they tend to be more creative and artistic in their outlook.


They are imaginative


According to psychologists, living in a world that is designed for right-handed people teaches lefties how to think independently and develop creative solutions to problems they encounter. Aside from that, the right hemisphere of the brain, which is associated with creativity and emotional expression, is more dominant in lefties, giving them a competitive advantage in the creative arena.


Left-handed artists such as painters and musicians, according to a 2007 study, are more prevalent. Indeed, left-leaning celebrities such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Julia Roberts, Keanu Reeves, Tom Cruise, Eminem, Justin Beiber, Angelina Jolie, Jim Carrey, and Lady Gaga are all prominent figures in the world of entertainment.


Professor Mike Nicholls, who is left-handed himself, conducted an investigation into the school performance and teacher feedback of 5,000 five-year-olds and came to the conclusion that "Left-handers perform worse as a group than right-handed students." According to him, the cognitive impairment experienced by lefties was minor, but comparable to the "negative outcomes" of premature birth.


They are masters of the multitasking art form


In learning to navigate a world that is largely designed for right-handed people, lefties tend to be more self-sufficient and adaptable than right-handed people.


In 2008, the Illinois Research Consortium conducted an extensive analysis of a large amount of data and discovered that when given two tasks to complete simultaneously, lefties outperformed righties. Lefthanders take a holistic approach to the problem and attempt to solve it through pattern matching techniques. Righthanders, on the other hand, approach problems by disassembling them and analyzing each component separately.


The research of Dr. Nick Cherbuin shows that left-handed people are more likely to converse while driving, pilot jet fighters, and play fast-paced video games than right-handed people. As explained by the researcher, this is because conversations between the left and right hemispheres of the brain happen more quickly in left-handed people than in right-handed people.


Left-handed athletes have a distinct advantage over their right-handed counterparts in many sports


They excel in a wide range of sports, including golf, tennis, swimming, and boxing, amongst others. Left-handed athletes include golf champion Phil Mickelson, tennis superstar Roger Federer, and boxing legend Oscar de la Hoya, all of whom are left-handed. Indeed, left-handed players account for nearly 40% of the world's top tennis players.


The puzzle of left-handedness, written by Rik Smits, is reviewed on MSNBC. According to the review, left-handers may have an advantage in games involving two opponents facing off, such as boxing or tennis, because they have more opportunities to practice against right-handed opponents than vice versa, owing to the vastly greater number of right-handed people in the world.


Only 25 percent of the chance of being left-handed is accounted for by inherited genetic factors


Left-handedness is inherited genetically, and there is a 25% chance of being born that way. In this way, even identical twins with 100 percent identical genes do not always have the same handedness in their hands.


According to the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, more than 50,000 identical twins were observed and analyzed as part of their research. Interestingly, the researchers discovered that inherited genes only explain 25% of one's likelihood of being left-handed. Environmental factors account for the remaining 75% of the variance.


They are more susceptible to insomnia than the general population


Because of periodic limb movement disorder, left-handed people are more susceptible to sleep deprivation than right-handed people are (PLMD). As a result, they wake up during the night with their limbs moving unintentionally, which reduces the quality of their sleep. It is for this reason that people are thrown out of their beds. The findings of a study revealed that 69 percent of right-handed individuals demonstrated bilateral limb movements, as opposed to 94 percent of left-handed individuals.


They have better underwater vision than people who are right-handed


According to neurologists, lefties appear to be more adaptable to underwater vision than righties in terms of vision adjustment. It should be noted that there is a scarcity of scientific evidence to support this claim.


Left-handed people account for approximately 10 percent to 12 percent of the world's population


Globally, the proportion of left-leaning people is steadily increasing. Are you aware that the United States has a population of 30 million people who are left-handed? On average, 10 percent to 12 percent of the world's population is left-handed, while 87 percent of the world's population is right. A greater number of people are born left-handed and later convert to right-handedness, according to scientists.


Professor Daniel M. Abrams and graduate student Mark J. Panaggio of Northwestern University developed a model that explains the low percentage of lefties as a result of the balance between cooperation and competition that has existed throughout human evolution.


When an animal is more social and cooperative behavior is valued, the general population will gravitate toward one side, according to Abrams, an assistant professor of engineering sciences and applied mathematics at the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science at Northwestern University.


"A high degree of cooperation among members of a society is the most important factor in determining the efficiency of a society. As a result, humans have a right-handed preponderance in their species." Competition, on the other hand, has the opposite effect, resulting in 10% of the population becoming left-leaning.



Throughout history, there have been a number of notable political leaders who were leftists


Four out of the last nine presidents of the United States have been left-handed, according to historical records. Former Presidents James Garfield and Harry Truman, as well as current Presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Gerald Ford, are all left-handed, as are a few other former Presidents. As a result, lefties are highly likely to be excellent leaders in their respective fields!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]