Packaging can be defined as the activities that involve appropriate presentation, distribution, storage, sale and use of a product or service. The package of a product can appear as a wrapper, a metallic, plastic bag, or a combination of these or nay other.
- Primary packaging is the material that first envelops the product and holds it. This usually is the smallest unit of distribution or use and is the package which is in direct contact with the contents.
- Secondary packaging is outside the primary packaging, and may be used to prevent pilferage or to group primary packages together.
- Tertiary packaging is used for bulk handling, warehouse storage and transport shipping. The most common form is a palletized unit load that packs tightly into containers.
Medical device packaging,
1. Attention: Arrests/attract and hold customers attention.
2. Arousal: Arouse/captivates interest.
3. Nature/Type of Product: Packaging to suggest or describe the nature or type of the product.
4. Action Stimuli: A well packaged product can stimulate actions for purchase, not just for interest.